The Portuguese Australian Women’s Association has been created to develop a network of
women who band together and support each other.
We promote the health and well-being of women and want to create a safe space in which young girls and women can grow and develop knowing that they are equal to the males around them – not better, not worse, but equal with the same potential and the same opportunities.
We provide a forum for the voice of Portuguese-speaking women and girls in Australia and want to highlight the significant contributions they have made to the wider community
through their leadership.
The purposes of the association are to:
- bring Portuguese women and girls, and women from other Portuguese speaking countries together and form a network of support
- provide a forum for the voice of Portuguese women and girls in Australia
- provide a professional support network for Portuguese women and girls in Australia
- drive equal opportunity and representation of women in the Portuguese community in Australia
- promote the connection between our community’s elders and the younger generations of women and children, to impart their knowledge and wisdom of Portuguese culture and history
- expand women’s leadership and social integration in the broader community
- promote health and wellbeing of women
- increase access to services through promotion and networking
- fight against all forms of discrimination and family violence
- collaborate with other organisations to promote mutual interests of women
- promote the Portuguese language and culture in Australia